Category Archives: Post-war international


Bega & Allawah Flats

Bega & Allawah Flats, on Ainslie Avenue and Ballumbir Street Braddon, are a group of 16 three-storey blocks of 2 bedroom flats designed in 1954 by Richard Ure and Ian Slater in the Canberra office of the Commonwealth Department of Works. These post-war international style … Read More


Vasey Crescent 25 Year Award

The following citation was prepared for the 1998 RAIA 25 Year Awards by architects Philip Leeson and Cassandra Kelleher for the ACT Chapter of the RAIA. It is reproduced here with their permission. 1998 RAIA 25 Year Award Citation In stark contrast to the archetypal … Read More


4 Cobby Street, Campbell

4 Cobby Street, Campbell is a three bedroom house designed by Roy Grounds, with Theo Bischoff as project architect, in 1969-70 for Sir Otto and Lady Frankel and was completed in 1970-71. Sir Otto Frankel was Australia’s pre-eminent geneticist and head of the CSIRO Plant … Read More


1 Astley Place, Garran

1 Astley Place, Garran was designed by Dirk Bolt and Associates in 1967. The house is a late example of the post-war international style with its simple, cubic form, large sheets of glass, plain smooth wall surfaces and deep overhang for shade. Although the house … Read More


3 Arkana Street, Yarralumla

3 Arkana Street, Yarralumla is a large six bedroom house designed by Noel Potter of Bunning and Madden in 1967 for Professor and Mrs A J Birch. Professor Birch was the Dean of the Research School of Chemistry at the Australian National University. The house … Read More


Campbell Group Housing

The Campbell Group Housing comprises a group of 42 apartments and 32 attached houses in nine buildings and was designed by Harry Seidler & Associates in 1964 for the Australian National University (ANU). Construction was completed in 1968. The ANU sold the houses and apartments … Read More


24 Cobby Street, Campbell

24 Cobby Street, Campbell was a two bedroom house designed by Roy Grounds for Dr and Mrs A J Nicholson from 1963-1964. Construction was completed in 1965. Dr Nicholson was Chief of the Division of Entomology from 1936-1960 at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research … Read More